The kids and I have been eating a plant based diet now for about a month and I've been surprised how how easy it has been.
This vegan shepherds pie I made for dinner last night 🍽 The kids loved it so much they had thirds 😂
Such gorgeous comfort food without the bloat 🍃 And god I’ve missed creamy mashed potato!!!
Original recipe by Pinch of Yum, but I've tweaked it for what we love.
You will need:
2 - 3 cans lentils, drained and rinsed
1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup coconut milk (normal milk if you're not dairy free
1 tablespoon coconut oil (butter if you're not dairy free)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1 cup frozen peas
(if you have mushrooms, chop them up and throw them into too)
Salt and pepper
- Place in a pot on high heat with cold water, add a teaspoon of salt to the water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and simmer until tender.
- Drain potatoes and mash. Add coconut oil and milk and season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium pot and add chopped onion.Sauté for a few minutes until soft.
- Add cumin, thyme, lentils, vinegar, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Add corn and peas, and cook for another five minutes or so, stirring often.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place seasoned lentils in the bottom of a medium baking dish. Spread to cover the bottom.
- Add mashed potatoes on top and spread evenly.
- Pop into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until heated through.
- Serve hot.